Powered by: iWorQ Logo

henrycountyva Logo

← Back

Permit Search


Use this link to search for a permit.


Permit Application


Do you need this application? If you are going to build, demolish, renovate or repair a structure, you may need this application. Examples include but not limited to:

  • Manufactured Housing (Mobile Homes, Doublewides, etc)
  • Additions
  • Decks/Porches
  • Storage Sheds/Carports/Agriculture Buildings over 256 sq. ft. (Accessory buildings without trades and are under 256 sq. ft. are not required to have a building permit. But must still meet zoning setbacks.)
  • Renovations to any Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, or Framing of a new or existing structure.
  • Swimming Pools
  • Communication Towers (including alterations)
  • Demolition of any residential or commercial structure.
  • Garages & Carports Detached or Attached (This includes the Pre-Fab Metal type)
  • Amusement Devices
  • Commercial Structures
  • Re-Roofing Commercial or Industrial
  • Increasing/Changing the footprint to any of the above structures

*Still need to meet Zoning requirements.

For a complete list of projects that are exempt from permits, see the 2015 Virginia Construction Code

Not all work requires a building permit. Some projects not requiring a permit are:


Drywall repair and painting


Residential reroofing


Residential exterior siding


Tents that cover 900 square feet or less and have an occupant load less than 50 persons




Floor coverings and porch/deck flooring


One story detached residential accessory structures under 256 square feet (including detached prefabricated structures under 256 square feet).*

Electrical Permit Application


Use this link to apply for an Electrical Permit

Mechanical Permit Application


Use this link to apply for a Mechanical Permit

Plumbing Permit Application


Use this link to apply for a Plumbing Permit.

Demolition Permit Application


Use this link to apply for a Demolition Permit.

Land Disturbance Application


Before you apply for a Land Disturbance Permit, Click Here for the application document for Commercial & Industrial Grading and Click Here for the Erosion and Sediment Control Agreement In Lieu of a Sediment Control Plan for Residential Grading. These forms will need to be uploaded when submitting for a Land Disturbance permit. After retrieving these documents, click "Apply" to the left to submit the application.

Sign Permit Application


Use this link to apply for a Sign Permit.